Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem allowing multiple users in an Access 2000 database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelli

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2000
US

When we attempt to have multiple users access an access2000 database it appears to work, until one of the users attempt to modify the database.

When a person connects to the database and changes a record, if a second person attempts to connect he/she get the following error message: "The database has been place in a state by user "????" on machine "???????" that prevents it from being opened or locked."

If two people are in the file (no changes have been made), and one person attempts to change the database he/she gets the following message: "The person does not have exclusive use and changes will not be saved."

We get the same results even if SP1 is installed or not installed.

If we convert the database to access 97, we are able to get in, but the following message is displayed at startup:

"You can't make changes to the database objects in the database "????????
This database was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Access. ....."

Any one have any ideas on how to have the database multi users in an access2000 database, and/or how to disable the startup message with the access97 database?

Thanks,
Steve Nelligan
s-nelli@uiuc.edu

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong [sig][/sig]

In order to change the design of any of the database objects, a single person must have exclusive access to the database, no one else can be using it. The best way is for the designer to open the database in exclusive mode while he/she is making changes so that no one else can enter the database while the changes are being made.
As for just the modifing of records, this has to do with record locking. The record locking choice of that database must be full record locking, which prevents anyone else from modifing records while someone else is changing it. This must be changed to No Locks (anyone can change any record at any time) or Edited Record (only locks the one record being edited at that time). This option can be changed under the Options - Advanced tab.
Check your Access help for more info under exclusive/shared opening and record locking. [sig][/sig]

Under Options the following options are enabled:
1. Enable DE refresh
2. Default Open mode = Shared
3. default record locking = No locks
4. Open databases using record-level locking.

These appear to conform to the specifications of the last post. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Nelligan

[sig][/sig]

I have the same problem with my 2000 databases. Help!!

why don't you split your database in a front end with the screens and a back-end with the data? You'll find more about splitting your database in the help.

I do this for all my multi-user Access2000 applications and encounter no problem at all (with the multi-user aspect at least, I still think on many simple aspects that Access 2000 is a buggy thing :-( )

Greetings,

Dirk

I have a 3 user database running on a Novell network. 2 system are running Win2000 and the other Win98. The database resides entirely on the server (not split at all).

I've created a report writer that opens a new report in design mode and saves the report. I recently learned that you can't create a report unless you have exclusive rights to the database. (This isn't my main problem but if anyone knows how to work around it, please let me know. Access is a waste if I can't have users create their own reports without booting everyone else out) Anyway, both users on the Win2000 machines can create reports with no problem if noone else is in the database. The Win98 user get's the "You do not have exclusive rights to the database....error" even though nobody else has opened the database.

I've checked to make sure their isn't an .ldb file before they open the database. Since nobody else is logged in it can't be opened exclusively by someone else.

The user can open all forms and change records but just can't create new reports. Am I missing something? Is there an option that must be set on the Novell permissions (I'm pretty sure all users are the same)? I've logged into the machine using the network password of an account that works on the 2000 machine and I get the same error.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back