Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem after updates critical, security updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonuteklists

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
On this Windows 2003 Std Edition server with 2 partitions, C(4G) and (D930G), after updating MS pacthes, this machine has gone into endless reboots. After checking with Dell and other utilities, all h/w errors were ruled out, no bad sectors either.
I tried to boot using the server using the OS CD, when it came to the part where it showed previous partitions, it showed C as unknown partition due to either too full, unknown filesystem, etc.
When I tried to boot into safe mode, it hung exactly when tryin to load the following file, \Windows\Patch\app*.sdb file, cant remember the exact file.
Then I tried going into the recivery console, thought I would use listsvc and disable any bad drivers, etc. But I couldnt even list contents as C drive and said that it couldnt enumerate C drive.
Before reformatting I want to try to retrieve/repair as I need some info which didnt get backed up before going ka-punk.
Also, is it possible that a machine doesnt boot due to the System partition becoming full. I have had problems logging in as a new user when the C drive becoming full as profiles couldnt be created. ??
Please advice.
Thanks.

Windows should still boot even when the disc is full..

Why format?. You can do an update install over the existing one in that way the server is up and running in a short time.

Thanx,

Lon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back