Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem after format of Hard drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvio

Technical User
Jul 9, 2005
CA
Just had my HD formated by the computer guy problem is now I can't install my printer that I used before.(it's an old printer I don't have the intallation cd for it, neather the Windows 98 cd asked to insert).What's happend? why this *.cab files ??? are no longer in my hard drive?Can I get help from this

The .cab files are no longer on your hard drive becasue it was formatted.

You should be able to find the drivers (if they're not included with Windows) for the printer from the manufacturers website.

As for the .cab files, you'll need to find a Windows 98 installation disk for those.

Possibly finding the drivers from the printer manufacturers website will eliminate the requirement for the .cab files.

AckNack

In win 98 you go to printers and you can install a ton of different printers right from there. You can do this manually from there, find your printer there and install the drivers. Once you select the printer you may have to have the win98 cd on hand to put in your cdrom.

What printer is it that you have?
And, as AckNack said, you can also get the drivers from the printer mfgrs website.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thank you all for your response,
my printer is a HP deskject( quite old ,but,good)I have triede to get the driver fr HP drv. site bt it tell me the driver is already in ....AnywaysI guess I have to find a windows 98 cd to install it.I just dont understand why I have this problem after the computere guy reinstall windows for me.
Cheers,
marvio

Windows 98 will offten ask for the installation disk when installing new hardware. Unless you have a very small HDD, it is a good idea to copy the 'win98' folder which contains the Windows installation files rfom the CD to your HDD. Your "computere guy" may already have done this. Use the 'Find' utility from the 'Start' menu to search for "WIN98_21.CAB", if you find that on your HDD then you will almost certainly have the other win98 installation files on your disk, if so, when windows asks for the CD you can just point it to the folder you found the "WIN98_21.CAB" file in.

You should always keep installation disks in a safe place, sometimes a reformat is the only practicable way to fix a PC with software problems, but it will wipe out all data on the PC. After installing and configuring your OS, your periferals, and installing your essentila utilites, it is a good idea to make a compressed image of your HDD or primary partition using Norton GHOST or similar software, and save it to CD's, or another partition on your HDD.

There are also utilites that can make a backup of the drivers from your HDD, 'WinDriver Expert' is one such utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back