Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem adding new disk on system running sddpcm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcallow

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
ZA
I have an existing AIX system running AIX 5.3 TL 04 with sddpcm. I am trying to add new disks to the system. I run cfgmgr and the new disks only show as defined. I can rmdev the disks and run cfgmgr again but still the disks show as defined.
hdisk36 Defined 0f-08-01 IBM MPIO FC 2105
Has anyone ever had this problem and how to fix it.
cfgmgr gives the following error when run
Method error (/etc/methods/cfgscsidisk -l hdisk36 ):
0514-023 The specified device does not exist in the
customized device configuration database.
Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks
Charles

It seems that the system doesn't see the disks!

Check the disk connectivity.

Regards,
Khalid

Did you upgrade sddpcm previously and didn't reboot afterwards?
Upgrading sddpcm implies updating the methods for discovering and defining disks. The upgrade can be done in flight, but certain fixes only become active after a reboot. This is true for the methods ....

Thanks for the advice so far. No we have not upgraded SDDPCM. The system has been stable for the past year. We have run into some space problems and I wanted to add extra disks so that I can add them to the VG's and give extra space to the filesystems.

Similar situation can occur also if the disks are in use by other systems. Check the disk configuration on the ESS console.

Also there might be some presistent reserve flags in incorrect states. You can use /usr/sbin/pcmquerypr to check this.

And be careful...

--Trifo

Thanks. I will check with our storage guys on the disk configuration. If I run pcmquerypr -vh /dev/hdisk32 it does not give me any display that there is a reserve lock. I will be rebooting the system at 04:00 on Saterday. I will then check if I see the disks.

I have solved the problem. Someone has delete the device definitions for the following out of the odm.
PdPathAt:
uniquetype = "PCM/friend/sddpcm"
PdPathAt:
uniquetype = "disk/fcp/2105".
I did a rmdev of the disks and added the entrys back to the odm. Ran cfgmgr and i can see the disk and use them.
Thanks guys for your suggestions. It put me on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back