Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Adding Comments/Editing Comments in a Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtaylor

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I have a form for entering comments and a status. Works great for adding new comments but if a person has already entered a comment and status for a contract number, which is the key field, it is not reflecting the information. How can I have the form pull the comments already entered for a name and contract number combination? The requirement exists to edit comments if necessary or change their status.

It has been recommended that I make the comments a subform but I would rather use code if I knew what I should use.

Thanks,
Jackie [flowerface]

Are the comments and status stored in a different table from the rest of the record, and are there multiple comments/status records per contract number?

If so then the advice to use a sub-form was good advice. That would be the best and easiest way to display the comments.

If this isn't what your set-up is like then explain a bit more. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

The comments and status are stored in the same table and there are multiple comments/status records per contract number. The person must select his name from a combo box so when the comments are entered the person who entered the comments will be entered with the appropriate contract number. The problem I am having is when a contract number and name combination are selected it is not retrieving the comment the person made so they may edit an existing comment.

The person must be able to add a new comment or edit their existing comment by contract number.

Hope this makes more sense.

Thanks,

Jackie [spineyes]

Then you definitely need a sub-form with the comments and statuses on it.

Put the name and Contract Number and any other fields on your main form and link to the sub-form by contract number. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back