Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem adding clients to Proxy Serv 2.0/ NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
US
I have to be honest I am not well versed with NT 4.0 or Proxy Server 2.0. I am adding two client computers one Win 98 and the other XP Pro. The are joined to the network and see the proxy server fine. I am trying to get these computers internet access. The domain controller is the proxy server as well and I am uncertain of all the steps necessary to make the computers reach out to the internet. The PDC has 2 Nics one to see the network and the other with outgoing IP address. Users have permissions set per group access but I always seem to have problems downloading proxy client software. Any help would be appreciated I am up to page 26 on the forums with no help on this topic.

To gain 'simple' internet access through Proxy 2.0 you do not need to use a client side proxy application. Simply point the browser to the Proxy server IP. Initially set the Proxy so that there are no outgoing restrictions by any of the connected workstations.

All of this assumes that the Proxy server itself does have Internet access. You indicated that you have two nicks. Not to overlook the obvious... the assumption is also that you have the proxy pointing to what would be identified as the 'WAN' nic.

You can test the proxy from within the server itself by initially pulling up IE and seeing that you can get to the internet. After you have confirmed that, set the proxy setting within IE to point to the LAN side IP of the server (this forces it to go through the Proxy service) and then see if it to get get through.

Please let me know where these test stand and we can then move forward from there.

I confirmed the server does indeed have internet access then I manually set the proxy server static internal nic address into the client machine and the client was able to get internet access.

I appreciate your help now I have to do some research on Proxy Server 2.0 to find out the uses for WinSock Proxy, Socks Proxy and Web Proxy. I just ordered "On-Site-Proxy Server 2.0" by Kevin Schuler. I understand the theory of proxy servers just need to get that hands on experience that makes all the difference.

We are moving my office and I have to take this existing network to our new building before upgrading it to Windows 2003 which should happen in about 6 months to a year per the budget. I have a lot of learning to do in order to properly break this down, move and re-deploy all applications. Wish me luck.

Spend your time reading up on 2003 rather than learning stuff you will never use again. You are using the web proxy by pointing your clients internet explorer to the proxy server as accomplished above. You more than likely can forget about socks proxy.

The proxy client software is for winsock. Winsock gives the ability to put an client specific hole in the firewall and share internet services other than web. FOr instance, if you have a client that wants to VPN to another network, they will need the ability to resolve DNS. This can occur by installing proxy client, and defining a DNS server in the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back