Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem accessing Windows server in Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahevans

Technical User
Jan 27, 2006
GB
hi,

I have Windows server 2003 standard installed on Virtual PC which is using its own network card on the host machine. The network card has no TCP/IP service for the host machine so is purely dedicated to the virtual machine.

When I start the virtual machine it picks up an IP number from my router but if I try to ping the virtual server from my laptop over wireless I can not reach it.

If I open a browser on the virtual server I can not browse the Internet but I can see my routers login page using its IP number and so I can obviously ping the router.

If I tried to ping yahoo.com from the virtual server it times out and the same happens again if I try Yahoo's IP address.

I think the problem lies with my router are unsure how to diagnose and correct. Can anyone help?

I have the same problem. Does anyone know how to solve this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Robert

BTW ahevans, I am able to access the Internet, and browse with IE. And I was able to download the latest W2K3-R2 updates and install them.

However, to get the Virtual server to 'see' my LAN and to connect to the Internet, I configured the built-in Intel 21140 Fast PCI NIC on the W2K3-R2 appliance to get its IP & DNS via DHCP. It then picked up the Gateway and DNS settings from my sat modem-router's DHCP server, and was assigned an IP on that subnet.

Once I configured the host's personal firewall to "Trust" (allow communications To/From) the W2K3-R2's IP address, I had full access to the Internet.

I can now ping the server's IP from the host and vice versa.

BUT, I still cannot join the host laptop to the virtual server's AD domain.

I have the server configured as a Primary DC for Domain xxx.xxx.local, DNS and DHCP servers, and a File Server.

Other thoughts?

-Robert

just a quick update, I have dropped all firewalls on the host, virtual server and used my Windows Mobile device to try and connect over wireless (hence no firewall)and still I can not see the virtual server. I thinkthe next thing for me to try is a different router

Hi there, I've just put together a FAQ about accessing virtual PCs from the host. I'm not sure whether it's relevant to the problems you're having - it's more about host->VPC rather than VPC->internet - but you never know.

faq882-6936

Regards

Nelviticus

hi, I changed my router hardware and now I can get the host and guest virtual server to ping one another. However, if I try the virtual servers IP in my browser I can't see the website it is hosting. In Firefox, it attempts to connect for a while and then just gives a blank white page with no error message.

IIS is definitely running as I can access the site locally in the virtual server. I say it is hosting the site but technically there is nothing there at the moment so accessing it locally just gives the page under construction message.

Kind of stuck again, any suggestions

is it possible that Windows server 2003 is blocking HTTP traffic for some reason regardless of firewalls and Virtual PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back