Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem accessing CW2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

army27

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
US
I have CW2K on a win 2000 box 5th edition. It works perfectly well on the server and on my laptop which is also windows 2000. But our operating center they have Win NT machines. Ciscoworks is extremely slow compared to what I see on my machine. Except for obviously migrating to Windows2000. What else can I do to speed things up.

Thanks,

army27

You may connect to the Windows 2000 server using a Terminal Services and run the CW directly there. You should have almost the same performance as using the Windows 2000 server locally.

Why is the operating system even a factor? We run our Cisco Works and don't have any issues connecting from Win95 or Win98, NT or 2000. It's the same no matter what. Have you made sure that your port settings connecting your server to the network are the same as your NIC card? I know that we've had spotty performace from some servers and this was the cause in most cases.

IPKonfig,

What exactly do you mean by the port settings? The only thing else I can think is the version of JVM they are running on the local machine. What JVM are you using on the win 98 and 2000 machines? As for performance on the server. It works pretty good on my 2000 laptop.

The Server has 1 Gig of RAM and it is a 1.5 GHZ.

I cannot do Terminal services since most of the machines that need to connect to ciscoworks is win 98. and normally there will be at least 3 persons connected to the machine.

thanks in advance..

Port settings I'm referring to are "switch port" settings. Like Full duplex/100 Mbs. You can get spotty performace from servers connected to a switched network if you leave these settings at auto/auto. Do you not have your Cisco Works 2k server install JVM to your clients? Here is what I have and it seems to work really well.

Server is a quad 800 Xeon processor, with 6 Gigs DRAM, and I let my server install the JVM to all clients that connect to it. (Of course, I don't let everyone know the address/port number of my server, only my NOC has access to the box)

IPKONFIG,

The server does load the JVM to the clients. But does it load a Java applet or is it the Java virtual machine program that it loads. Since I think the server is loading the (Java Applet) maybe the Virtual machine on the clients is diffrent. Could this be a possiblity?

It loads more than just the applet. The first time a new machine connects to your Cisco Works 2k server it should do the full blown installation of JVM. The applets are loaded each time you access the CW2K box after the first install of JVM. Does your's not function this way?

IPKONFIG,

What Version is it supposed to load? what I see it load Java 1.3.1 but when you go to view Java console My ciscoworks2000 has release 5.0.0 3802 and others machines have 5.0.0 3302. If you go to the website for Microsoft is says that there is a critical bug out there for Java virtual machines that any version under 5.0.0 3810 is vulnerable. and Java 1.4.1 is not supported by ciscoworks. I tried it does not work.

So today we upgraded the machine to explorer 6.0 and the JVM 5.0.0 3810 and Java does not work.(Somthing is not compatible) We then loaded Mozilla browser using the same Java virtual machine. This worked. Still slow very slow.

So the moral of the story, I am still on the same boat. Is this a JVM issue? is it a Java applet issue?

Army27-

Sorry for the long delay, was out of town on business. Have you taken a machine that's never accessed the CW2k box and tried to connect to it and see what it does? Have you uninstalled JVM from the NT boxes and tried accessing the server again to see if it loads properly? Do you have more than one version of JVM on the clients or server? These are some things that I'd do in the trouble shooting process if you haven't done so already.

IPKONFIG,

I did uninstall JVM and it looks like the server loads 1.3.1 correctly.

As for trying another Box I will try that tommoroow. As for the server the only software loaded is Cw2K and the OS nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back