Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem accesing a XPpro computer on the network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhg1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2005
DK
Hi

I have 3 computers on the network - 2 of them have sharen drives, but I can only access one of them - they are both XP pro instalations

I set the Windows firewall to allow fil sharing on both of them and then sharede the drives that I wanted - they are borh in the same workgroup, and I can ping them both.

But when i use explorer to access them, only one of them allow it, the other one just tells me
"T700 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network....."

The computer T700 is connectede to the linksys WRT54GS via a cable - the others are wireless.

I tryede disabling the firewall on T700 - but nothing

/lhg

Have you tried removing and re-joining the PC's to the workgroup? Try that! Also, make sure you check permissions on the folders, even though they are shared....

-Jon

Yes - I tryede shifting to a completly different workgroup´name - and now both of them is in that.

And I tryede activating the Guest account on both of them.

How do I set the permissions? - I'm sharring the entyre Drive. Can't find anything on permissions on the drives.

How ever I can't get that far - in the explorer when I open it, it give the error when I glick on the Name og the pc

/Lhg

Make sure you have identical usernames/passwords on all PCs that are participating in file sharing (sharer and shareee).

Also, workgroup name is irrelevant, you can easily share files on 2 machines in different workgroups.

The users is called larshg on both machines, and he has no password.

I can use VNC between them, I can FTP between them - the only thing I can't do is se the files one one of them.

/Lhg

When you say you can't "see" files on one of them, how are you trying to get to the other computer? Going through "My Network Places" can be unreliable. Have you tried to access the one you can't see by going to "start", "run", and typing "\\<computer you can't see's name>" or if that does not work "\\<computer you can't see's IP>" That brings up another good point, did you make sure all the computers have the same IP scheme but different addresses? IE 192.168.1.X with no two X's being the same?

Open your computer, click on tools > folder options > view and remove the tick next to Use simple file sharing recomended. This will enable security permissions and will allow your user account to be Authenticated

Hi,
I have very similar problem like this one: XP Pro, there 3 computer in a network, 2 wireless and which is connected to the linksys via cable. All them have the same workgroup.
From the 2 wireless computer, lest's call them A and B, I can not see the one connected via cable, let's call it X.
I just need to share the printer connected to X, but I can it from A nor B.
The only way to use the printer from A and B is enter My Network Places, click View Workgroup Computer, click on X computer, then it ask for and Username and Password and I enter The Username and Password of the only user of X computer. Then I can SEE X computer, and at this time I can PRINT.
But of course, every the computer restart I have to do the same.
Thanks
/Wences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back