Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probably asked before by Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

g6udx

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
At present we have a number of traditional TDM PBX. These deliver all that we need to the users. We are considering linking them with a few trunks to permit carrier by-pass, centralised operator, centralised voice-mail etc. As a newbie to this whole VoIP thing, what do I need to do the DPNSS - VoIP conversion. Later we may add full blown CCM at other offices.

What is DPNSS?

If you are connecting TDM to TDM do you need to do VOIP?

You can interconnect TDM PBXes over point to point T1s or some other meduim without doing VOIP and accomplish your goals.

If you are set on doing VOIP you will need and IP gateway for each PBX, and they all do it a little different. I have experience with Nortel and Cisco.

I can expand on this but I would like to know what DPNSS is and what brand of PBX you ave.

MSpivey, CCNP

Mspivey
CCNP

Have you been to ?
The OFFICIAL Cisco IP Telephony User Group!

"convergence isn't coming...... it is here." mspivey 2003

In the UK long 2MBPs point to point circuits tend to be expensive and I really don't need 30 trunks between each site. I'm looking at deriving trunks from the company's existing data network.

Digital Private Network Signalling System is a UK developed 30B+D system that pre-dates Qsig. My inderstanding is that in some respects it is more flexible than Qsig.

PBXs are a mix of Ericsson MD110, Nortel Meridian and Siemens Realitis.

Ahhhhh...
Translated that means all of my experience is in the US.

But as far as IP goes you still need an IP Gateway for the PBX in question. The Nortels use an ITG Card, that is connected to your WAN router, I assume the others have this capability as well.

How many sites are you linking together?

How many users per site?

Have you considered a full IP Telephony conversion?

Mspivey
CCNP

Have you been to ?
The OFFICIAL Cisco IP Telephony User Group!

If all you want to do is inter-connect your PBX's using the data network you can accomplish this with a router at each end with a circuit emulation network module card:

This network module allows you to connect any type of T1/E1 circuits that you could order from your carrier and transport them across an IP network instead.

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong" -- H.L. Mencken

g6udx,

I've seen a box that can do dpnss to VOIP conversions. They are made by westell.

and the product you need is the Interchange IQ.

Avaya rebadge these for their s8700 and s8300 kit as these don't do dass or dpnss.

Hope this helps.

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back