Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probably a dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US

Hello,

I was under the impression that NT 4.0 came with a remote agent type of software to access client machines for helpdesk/troubleshooting situations. I've checked out the CD and found no such deal. Can you please let me know what software this is. Can it be downloaded from Microsoft?
I'm a newbie admin, just taking over a small network, and interested in this type of feature. Any and all help is appreciated!!

Sorry there isn't anything like that available directly within NT4.0. I am not sure how much you are willing to spend, but Microsoft offers their system mangement server or SMS which has remote control tools. There are other third-party tools available from IBM (Tivoli), Intel and others.

JohnCitron,

Was beginning to come to the that same conclision. Thanks for the info on where to look!

HI,

You can use "Dameware mini remote control" According to me this tool is prefectly disgned for Remote Trouble-shooting
You will get thsi tool on In this tool no need to install a server on a remote machine like VNC..etc.

Try this out.

HTH ========================================
If there is a will there is a way
========================================

I checked out TightVNC last night. Installed on all machines on my home network. That's one nifty little program! I did run into some issues with one machine. The display kept turning black on the remote screen, preventing me from seeing one computer I was connected to, but all the others worked just fine. Will definitely consider using on my work system. Besides...the cost was just right!

Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back