Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probably a dumb question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBack85

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2007
US
I have an external domain mail.mycompany.com that works great for OWA and Activesync on Android and Apple devices when you are not in the office.

When in the office though I can't figure out how to get that same domain mail.mycompany.com to resolve. The devices just error out and can't connect that way. Is there an easy way to fix this in DNS I am assuming?

Not a dumb question at all. Working outside of your office says that the global DNS system has your site properly resolving. Normally, I would think that your office's DNS would recursively try to resolve the address. The exception would be if it thinks that it is authoritative for the domain, in which case it looks like it doesn't have an entry for the host. If your office DNS is authoritative for the zone, I would look at the zone record very carefully.

Setup what's called a split-DNS system. You create a zone internally that matches the names that you have for your external DNS, but just make the records resolve to the internal IP addresses of the servers. Be mindfully that once you create this zone for internal use, you will need to have records defined for all hosts needed as the external DNS will not be used to resolve hosts for a zone that already exists internally.

Doing this way, you can define all of your URLs the same in Exchange for OWA as they will resolve to either the public address or internal address depending on which side of the network you are on.

even if my domain is .local on our internal server can I still setup "Split DNS"?

ha awesome got it figured out!

thank you very much guys!

And the answer is?

You gotta share dude.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back