Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRO3060 LAN TO WAN traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyasterisk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2008
IE
I have a domain name which points to a public ip address which in turn is being nat'd through our pro3060 to a server on the LAN.

When people on the LAN browse to this domain name they get page can not be displayed. I came accross this problem before when LAN users could not go out and come back in. I cant remember how i resolved this...

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's typically easiest to set up a DNS entry internal to your network that points requests for that name directly to the LAN address. If you use an LDAP service to control logins and drive mapping, you probably already have a DNS server and can just put the entry there. If not, I'm not sure how to set it up in the SonicWall itself.

The problem I have is the software is only licensed for the external domain name. So even if I was to browse locally it always tried to redirect me to the external domain name.

I have resolved this by adding a DNS Loopback in the NAT rules on the sonicwall.

Thanks for your help anyway.

What section of the OS did you go into to set that up? I'm, obviously, still learning how to use these devices. Anything I can learn now can only help me later.

Create another zone in your DNS for your public domain. So for example...you might have a domain.local for your internal zone. Create another zone on your DNS for domain.com and create host records in that zone that reflect your internal servers ip addresses. If there are any external servers that you have, say being hosted elsewhere, then you'll need to make sure you input those as well. So in that scenario, you would have your internal hosts say at 192.168.1.x and your web server at 207.x.x.x because it's hosted at godaddy for example. You'll just need to manually keep those records up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back