Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pro vs home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancstech

Technical User
Aug 16, 2005
GB
contemplating installing w7 pro on a dell 8400 currently running dual boot xp/w7 enterprise trial. my issue is whether it would be better installed on a dell vostro vista/w7 ent laptop, benefits/issues as i see it are

xp to w7 + better os/security, xp mode
xp to w7 - older pc spec, slower boot/loss of apps/licenses

vista to w7 + smoother install, faster boot, backup/vpn
vista to w7 - xp mode, benefits eg network limited to w7 only pc's

any w7 direct access,network, backup experience?

update
my desktop cpu can not do virtualization
my laptop cpu not do virtualization
so am investigating new desktop without os
tending to upgrade laptop option

Your Desktop and Laptop should be able to do virtualization, but just might not support HARDWARE virtualization.

To me the Backup feature sucks, you can't specify (from what I've seen) exactly which files you want to backup, only what TYPES of files you want backed up.

logo.png

Certified Medisoft support center

lancstech's point is that they want to run XP Mode on Windows 7 - and that requires chip-level hardware virtualization

Ah OK - I didn't equate XP Mode with Virtualization, as in running MS Virtual PC, VirtualBox, etc.

But I understand what he meant now.

And I didn't know that XP Mode required hardware virtualization, so I learned something new today too!

Thanks.

logo.png

Certified Medisoft support center

hi dibbt, strongm, thanks for your input.

i have broken one of my golden rules, which is never be the first to buy and pre-ordered w7 pro.

having done so i am still not sure where to install it. i suppose the safe option is on my vista laptop, but my xp desktop system & setup is very old and needs a fresh install anyway. i suspect i will take a few steps forwards and a couple back.

i am going to try to concentrate on using my w7 enterprise trial on the desktop to really suss out its performance and compatibiliy. will report back

FYI

Windows XP mode requires Hardware support on the CPU and it be turned on in the BIOS setup.

However you can still download and run the latest Virtual PC software on any PC.

Don't Panic! (Douglas Adams)

RedBarn2

fyi see strongm, if i can't run xp mode that pushes me to v to w7 upgrade.

hearing many w7 upgrade improvements centre on 64 bit (non of my systems are 64 bit).

i am assume i will able to dual boot install on desktop & laptop and when ready to go live activate on selected system.

i know i will lose a number of apps (xp to w7),
if i can keep my basic apps & hardware eg acronis, openoffice printers etc. this might be a good divorce.

installed w7 pro as dual boot with xp on "old desktop".

digital river download (3 files), required oscdimg to create iso. seems ok, i.e. similar to w7 enterprise.

will try not to tweak w7 (remove bloat/services etc.), prior to activation (if i do).

have not installed many apps/or all hardware yet.

will advise on progress

spent aome time usimg w7 on both xp & vista pc.

still on fence but am leaning towards upgrading vista laptop.
as least effort required to getting a fully working system.

will reinstall xp on desktop, maybe buy a cheap video card and then watch out for a new spec base pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back