Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRNGD is not seeded / prngd: bad number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grabberblue

Vendor
Mar 11, 2010
CA
davidc1 (IS/IT--Management) wrote on 31 Jul 07 18:02
We get this error when trying sftp over port 150. prngd is not running, when we try to restart it we get prngd: FFFF: bad number SCO 5.0.7 w/Maintenance Pack 5 on an HP ML310 server

I just finished battling this issue, although my error message was a little different: "/etc/prngd: ?;: bad number"

The resolution was to remove /etc/prngd.lock as that was where the bad number was! In my case the bad number in the lock file was \220; as a result of some minor filesystem corruption on the last crash.

It should contain the PID of the current prngd process!!

Is the sshd daemon running? I've seen that message sometimes when something has killed sshd, sometimes as the result of automated hacking attempts.

What happens when you reboot the system?

Are you running the native 5.0.7 SSH suite, or did you download another version?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

No, sshd was not running, that was my original problem.

sshd was not running because prngd was not running.

prngd was not running because there was a bad number its lock file which caused grief for the start/stop script.

I was posting my findings in response to davidc1's original thread from 2007 which is closed. He appeared to be having the same problem but his bad number was FFFF.

A simple problem with a simple solution but it took me a while to find it and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back