Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Privileges,Privileges,Privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpib

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2001
Ok...Here is the scenario.

We're running a NT4 Domain with W2K File Servers. All the shares in the File Servers have Admins at Full Control & the other user groups up to either modify or read/execute.
Our Sales group who are running W2K Pro or NT4 on their laptops can see the domain servers but cannot have access privileges to the shares. Their laptops are part of a workgroup for mobility. When trying to access the shares on our domain, we get the login prompt and try to login through their username or group with no success yet I can login as administrator.
What could be holding back from logging in as part of the different groups in the domain rather than just the admin group?

mrpib

Do you get any error message when you try to login with a normal user account? Does the laptop have a computer account on the domain?

I don't get any error messages. I did add the computer account to the domain. All that happens when attempting to log on is get another login window again.

mrpib

If the users that are part of the workgroup do not have accounts on the domain then they will now be able to access resources on your domain. Why not bring these laptops into the domain and place local accounts on the laptops when the users are away from the network?

When you set the laptops up did you create accounts on the domain? Windows 2000 and NT require that you create accounts for the domain when you set up the computer. Go to network places or Network Neighborhood and check the computer name and domain. If you have them set up in a workgroup instead of in the domain they cannot access the domain.

What happens when you try to log on to a PC that is a member of the domain, using one of the accounts that you are having problems with?

Is the second login asking for the username, password and domain? Any other messages?

The laptops have manully entered accounts on the domain & the workgroup has the same name as the current domain it wants access to. I would gladly join the laptops to the domain but the problem still lies. We actually had this working at one point. Management wants it to be the same as before.

This is how it was setted up before. We had the laptops belong to a workgroup called Chicago. There was also a domain called Chicago that had transitive trusts with 3 other domains. The users had access to all the resources that their group were allowed.
Now since the network has flattened to 1 domain. We'd like to mimic those settings & privileges for the mobile users. I'm jumping into the game that I didn't get to play with the previous domain settings.

CPUs that are joined have no problem authenticating. Run normal.

As far as login messages...I'm connecting to a share through Explorer. The login prompts..I enter the user or group name as well as password. Nothing prevails. I enter the admin & password. Its golden. It just kills me that only the admin authenticates & not any other user groups that have set privileges to the servers & shares.

No other messages appear. Just the login reappears.

mrpib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back