Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

private ips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonez

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
The situation is this:
Have a cisco router that will be multipoint;
2 netopia routers that are point to point;
Could I use private IPs on the WAN side? Meaning the the sub interface on the cisco will be set to 192.168.1.254 and the 2 sides will be .1 and .2 respectively. The next question is what to set the gateway for the 2 outside routers is it the 254 or the valid gateeway out the cisco to a t1? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

I am assuming the Cisco has a connection to the Internet. The Cisco would have to be capable of running NAT in order to "proxy" the private address with your public IP. Without NAT 192.168.x.x/24 network is NOT routable on the Internet. The default gateways for both Netopia routers should point to the Cisco's 192.168.1.254 address.

On another note, are you planning on bridging the Netopias with the Cisco? If not then you might want to consider changing your subnets for both routers. For example, if the Cisco is 192.168.1.x Netopia 1 could be 192.168.2.x and Netopia 2 could be 192.168.3.x. If all routers are on the same logical subnet then you would have to bridge all the routers which could affect your bandwidth and ring up the phone bills (if using ISDN) since a bridged connection has a tendency to stay up all the time.

All of this is moot of course if the Cisco does not have NAT capabilities so make sure of that first.

the netopia are on turned down t1's. The 2 offices have to be connected.

You didn't really answer my question on my last post. I realize that you have some sort of WAN connection from the Netopias to the Cisco. What type of line is not really relevant to my questions. Further I also realize that the two offices need to be connected. My questions again:

1. Is the Cisco providing Internet access for the Netopias?
2. Are you bridging or routing between the Netopias and the Cisco?

I can try to provide some answers but I need some more detailed information.

they are not being bridged. and the cisco is providing internet acces for the both of them. i guess i didn't understand the first time.

Then eveything I stated in the first reply applies here. The Cisco would have to run NAT in order to "proxy" the private network with your public IP. The default gateways for both Netopia routers should point to the Cisco's 192.168.x.x address.

Also since you are not bridging then both Netopias and the Cisco all need to be on different logical subnets (3 different subnets).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back