Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Priv1.edb only 12.698Gb but told that store is full

Status
Not open for further replies.

niallo32

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2004
IE
The Priv1.edb file on our Exchange 2000 Box is only 12.698Gb in size, but every now and then I get an Event Log message saying that the Mailbox store is full and we cannot receive any more messages.

I then get users to clear out large messages/Archive Mailboxes but it happens fairly regularly.

What can I do to prevent this happening in the future?

I only have 8.5Gb on free space on the E & M Drives and 7.5Gb on the D Drive.

Thanks,

So your 16GB limit for your information store that is the sum of the EDB and the STM:

EDB = 12.698GB
STM = 4.077GB
--------------
Total 16.775GB

Yes, I'd say you have hit your limit.

Well 12.698 + 4.077 is greater than the 16Gb limit for Exchange standard.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Where do I go from here? Do I need the same amount of space on the drive as the size of the priv1.edb file to do an Offline defrag?

Thanks,

You'll need about 18GB on disk to offline defrag it once you've emptied it quite a bit.

Sounds like you need to move up to enterprise edition Exchange or get users to start archiving mail and impose limits.

Consider doing an offline defrag on another (newer and faster) server. It doesn't have to be an exchange server.

Microsoft has an article about it. I used that and cut down the time a lot.

Dan

So I move the priv1.edb file over to another server that has space, run an offline defrag, then overwrite the existing priv1.edb file??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back