Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pritnt queues go down on 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

normntwrk

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
I hesitate to ask this because I've seen several references to print queues going down but this has only started happening since we went to 5.2. with this new server. It only affects 2 print queues (out of about 50) and they go down every day. I have a script running every 15 minutes via Cron that brings them up if they are down but I'd rather get to the bottom of it.

The printers themselves are at another site on jet-directs and are NOT set up as remote printers so I don't see any time-out settings that I can adjust.

Any thoughts ?

Norm

I just checked and I don't have that APAR on the server

Norm

In addition, I'm assuming these printers are connected via VPN? Does the entire VPN drop, or just the printer queues?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Found out it's a GRE tunnel – Cisco to Cisco

I don't have access to the routers so I'm not sure if it drops or not

Norm

We are seeing the same issue. We have roughly 70 remote locations connected via VPN. We are on AIX 5.2 and use remote print queues connected via Chase IOLAN term servers (Oki 320 printers, Xon-Xoff). We have a list of about 10 frequent offenders that routinely go into a "down" state. After a manual enable or cron enable, the queue will send a few more jobs, then go into a "Sending" state, yet the queue shows idle. This has been driving us crazy for months. If anyone has an answer, the help would be appreciated.

In terms of the chase server we finally got fedup with ours and removed it. We placed HP Jet directs on the printers themselves and life couldnt be any better. Just a thought!

We have begun changing our Chase IOLAN printers out with Oki420n (internal print server) devices, and those devices also are seeing the same problems. It seems to be specific to "remote" queues in AIX transmitting over our WAN. On the LAN, I can't get a queue to fail. We have set our remote queues up on a Windows server, and the Windows server seems to transmit the jobs across the WAN perfectly. Right now, all fingers are pointing at the AIX box, we just don't know where to look. Anyone know where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back