Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRIs verses T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGigs

Technical User
Nov 5, 2006
US
An Add on to my last post.

Why would a T1 be used for direct access to LD while PRIs are being used for local loop access?

Can you not use PRIs to get to the LD carrier?

TIA for any illumination you may have....

T1 and PRI are two different ways of bring service into a PBX switch. A PRI uses the 24th channel for call setup and signalling, which, depending on the switch, can give you many ways to handle calls than a "regular" T1.

The telco providing the T1 can handle any type of traffic they want to carry, or pass off to a Primary Interexchange Carrier (PIC)

Is he using 2 different providers 1 for Local and 1 for LD? Most will do this for pricing issues.

TouchToneTommy and hawks thank you for your replies.

The T1 (not PRI) is for LD but the thing I don't get is that all of the services (local, LD, and Internet) are provided by the same service provider. Why do you need a dedicated trunk for LD if once you get to the End Office of the provider they handle all of the traffic and billing anyway.

Also, I thought that ANI works through the PRI on the D channel. But if you are running a T1 to the LD carrier does ANI still work? I thought that all of the carriers had gone away from inband signaling and you needed PRI to handle ANI.

I'm trying to get up to speed on this stuff but everything I read (or can find to read) is so generalized.

SOme local carriers do not support a "Two-way DID" (in and out E&M Winkstart) on a Robbed Bit T1.

This is the case for AT&T/SBC/Ameritech/OBT here in OH. You can get a T1 but you get have to break it in two trunk groups with one being Ground Start (no DID) and DID.

SO in that case the only option would be PRI.

However they now charge less for a PRI versus this weird T1, so if the switch supports it that is the way to go.

Or they may simply have been installed at different times.

If you are using the same provide for Local and LD. Then I would see what it would take and cost to convert the T1 to a PRI. Then just open up all cahnnels for Local and LD.

The B Channel on a PRI is used for many things so the PRI is more flexable. Why would you use a PRI for only LD DS1?
I would said the standard is a flat T1 from the provider.

Big advantage you get with PRI is way more features. Not the least of which is the ability to modify the outgoing Caller-ID digits that are sent to the called party. Very handy for a networked environment where you have multiple locations feeding back to a "hub" site and using PRI's there, depending on the CPE you can fool with the CPN (Calling Party Notification) digits so that each site sends out it's own local number, even tho they are all using the same PRI. This is good for 911/E-911 applications as well.

hawks, donporter, and Lundah:

Thanks for your replies. Your advice and input is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to try and get a copy of the Customer Service Record to see what the provider has currently provisioned. I've heard some LEC's can be a pain about this but we'll see.

I'm starting to think that all the client has are PRIs to the CO and no T1 to a LD carrier. The original paperwork from 5+ years ago shows otherwise but looks like everything now is PRI.

Can you not use PRIs to get to the LD carrier?

I do this all the time with my customers - LD PRIs for our application. Dedicated rates and the power of the d-channel for signaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back