Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2002
US
I have a windows 2000 network with 25 offsite locations that dial in through RAS to gain access to files. I am aslo using citrix xp and have been unsuccessful getting the local printers to print using the citrix print utility. I want to enable file and print sharing on the local machines and add these printers to the citrix server as network printers. It works great at the main site but I cannot get it to work via a dial up connection. All workstations are windows 9x. Has anyone any ideas?

You also might want to check out the following third party tools:

Thinprint
Screwdriver (company called "Tricerat")

There is a third tool but it required Adobe... We are using Scredriver and it not only solves your problem (you have to install a screwdriver client on each pc and from then on you can print to all local printers) but it also compresses the print stream by approx. 50% you can also define how much bandwidth you want to use for printing. Another nice feature is the reprinting from local cache (e.g. if you need to print the same doc 5 times it is transferred only once and then reprinted locally four times from cache). Very robust tool - you need one separate print server per farm and one license per metaframe server in the farm. Affordable.

You can download a demo from their website @
Hope it helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back