Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing with Clipper Dos Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodijon

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
FR
How to print on windows printers with Clipper Dos Apps?

Most printers can't be directly controled and i can't print with my Clipepr App.

How can i do?

Clipper uses your default printer, usually lpt1.
make sure you can print from DOS by copying an ascii file to lpt1 (or whatever lpt port your using). example..
copy autoexec.bat lpt1
if that doesnt work, Clipper won't be able to print either.

If the printer is on another computer, you will need to capture LPT1 (or whatever) to that printer.

Go to the DETAILS tab of the printers properties.
If the "Print to the following port" is of the form
"\\computer\printer" you need to capture the printer port to it, click the CAPTURE PRINTER PORT button, select the required Device (lpt port) and the Path.

Hope that helps.

HotEye

Clipper simply prints to lpt1. It is, therefore, essential that you have lpt1 up and working. If you can run "copy filename lpt1" and it prints file name, you have lpt1 working and clipper programs will then work.

If you are on a network, ask your system administrator to set up lpt1 for you through your login script so that it is available each time you login.

If you are on a windows net work you can use somebody elses printer, if he/she lets you and shares the printer, by using the control panel to set up a new printer connection to that printer and capturing the printer port to that printer.

Subra if you find this useful let me know at vksubra@usa.net

you will uncheck the Spool MS-DOS print jobs in port settings of printer property.
It will make you to control all function of printer from clipper DOS app.

My email peng7245@email.com

Are you on network? If you can't print, Try forcing the printer command with set print on and set device to print, combine the two.

I want to knw if it is a network enviroment first and what platform.

Mark Frolic
Lagos, Nigeria

El problema de la impresión en Windows es que es el sistema operativo (y no el programa) el que gestiona la misma.
Esto hace que la impresión desde aplicaciones DOS sea muy lenta o practicamente imposible (si la impresora es "solo" Windows o va por el puerto USB, o esta en una red y los puertos no están capturados).
Para resolver estos problemas, lo mejor es volcar el contenido a imprimir en un fichero (SET PRINTER TO C:\FICTEMP.PRN), realizar el proceso normalmente, y posteriormente hacer un COPY FILE C:\FICTEMP.PRN TO [puerto], siendo el puerto local o capturado en red.
Con este metodo eliminamos los problemas de impresión local lenta e impresión sobre red, pero no resuelve el problema para impresoras Windows/USB.
Para eliminar todos los problemas, nostros usamos PageScript de AbeeLabs. Es muy bueno. (

Here is how we re-direct the printer on a Novell Server. This is a batch job that runs the "clipapp.exe". You can put this file in the Icon Properties, Program Tab, CMD Line:

@echo off

if exist f:\public\capture.exe f:\public\endcap
if exist f:\public\capture.exe f:\public\capture /l=1 /q=netq /nobanner /noff /ti=5

clipapp.exe

if exist f:\public\capture.exe f:\public\endcap
if exist f:\public\capture.exe f:\public\capture /l=2 /q=netq /nobanner /noff /ti=5

:OUT

Para imprimir con aplicaciones de Clipper en Windows lo que tienes que hacer es
capturar el puerto de impresion como lpt1, lpt2, etc. dependiendo del numero de impresoras.

Despues en la aplicacion tienes que configuarar antes de la impresion.
Set Printer On
---
Set Device To "Lpt1" /// cuando esta en \\servidor\laser 1100, etc.
-- bloque de impresion ---
Set Device To
---
--
--
Asi lo que imprimas se mandara a la impresora deseada.

Uno de los posibles problemas, es que las aplicaciones en clipper se basan en DOS y para poder imprimir correctamente la impresora debe ser de control por "ESC/P2" y no "RAFTER" como son las impresoras para Windows, Hay info adicional los sites de EPSON -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back