Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing white text on dark background

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataccount

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
US
I have a report in FPW26 where the column headings appear as white text characters on a dark green background. It works perfectly during development running from the command window, but as soon as I compile the application into an .exe file for distribution, it appears as black text on the dark green background. It happens even if I run the .exe from the same development computer that compiled the application. It also appears as black on dark green if I choose screen preview.

What am I missing?

Are you comparing how things look between one workstation executing the EXE and another doing the development?

Or are you saying that when you execute the EXE on the very same workstation on which it was developed, you are seeing these differences?

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

JRB-Bldr, the workstation in this case is my laptop, where all of the programs, screens, reports, etc. are located. From this computer I can DO MAINMENU.PRG from the FoxPro command window to start the application, and the colors are correct.

Typically, I would build an EXE while in my office, then copy it to the client's Windows 2003 Server either over a Terminal Server connection or while physically in the client's office. At the client's office, using the same laptop workstation, I log onto the Domain, and execute the EXE file over the network. Now the colors are wrong.

If I unplug the network cable and modify the shortcut on my desktop to point to my local workstation EXE file, where I have also copied the necessary data files, the colors are still wrong. The font used is Arial Bold.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

"I would build an EXE while in my office"
"the workstation in this case is my laptop"

So you are not running the EXE on the same computer as the EXE was developed on.

Have you tried to run the EXE, not in development mode, but launch it from your desktop on the computer in the office?

I am trying to find out if the problem you see is related to the computer the code is run on or not.

If the problem is computer specific, then it might be some Themes setting or some Font issue on the problem computer(s).

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. Once the EXE has been created on my machine, it doesn't matter whether I run this EXE while it is residing on my computer (not connected to the network) or as a workstation running it on the server.

Something happens when the project is built into an EXE to change how the white on green text appears on the screen and on a printed report. Everyone experiences the same black on dark green printing.

Back in my office I copied the entire application to my desktop computer and was able to run the MAINMENU.PRG from the command window and the printing was as it should be - white characters on a dark green background. Then, I created a shortcut to the EXE file on this same computer, and experienced the problem - black on dark green.

One final thing, and it probably isn't important here. I copied all the project files to another folder and did a "functional conversion" to VFP6. I built an EXE from VFP6 and it works perfectly. I know, and eventually the entire application will be converted to VFP, but there are issues keeping me from doing it right now.

I hope you can help. Thanks.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back