Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing when on VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkdog

Technical User
Dec 8, 2002
AU
I have a small network at home and I use Contivity VPN to access my work network. It works fine - but with one major pain - When connected through VPN I can't print to my home (networked) printer.
I've tried unsuccessfully getting my home network to "trust" the work network and all other attempts have failed.

Anybody have any ideas on a way round this?

I am not sure the problem and we need more information to help. where do you print from? Local or remote PC? how do you connect to the networked print? shared as local pc or IP?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

My home network has a single windows 2000 server and 3 workstations - Connected to the internet (cable) through smoothwall.
My home printer is on the server.

When connecting to work through Contivity VPN - home network is isolated as PC becomes a member of the work network (on it's domain). Consequently I can no longer see the printer on my home network (shared from my server).

(of course all my local network drives are also no longer visible).

My question - Is their a workaround to be able to print on my home (networked) printer?
My gut feeling is that it is not possible because of the secure nature of the VPN tunnelling protocol.............

I had a vpn set up and it was working very well. My home pc is Windows XP Home, my work pc XP Professional, and my server windows 2k.

However, lately I've been getting some strange problems and they are really frustrating me and slowing down my work.

Problem #1 - some strange Sub System App error? Also, some VSsooler.exe problem?

Problem #2 - I can no longer print on my home peripherals

Problem #3 - MS Word is crashing constantly and some autoexe error is occurring.

Problem #4 - Sometimes I cannont see any printers on my network as the office. I have removed all print drivers and reinstalled them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

quoted from
Spooler Subsystem Application Needs to Close" - "Operation Could Not Be Completed" Error Messages

Causes: 1. Bad printer driver. 2. New MS update conflicts with the printer driver. 3. ICF conflicts with the printer driver.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back