Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Via Terminal services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollyuk

Technical User
May 6, 2001
GB
Really stuck with this one.

Running terminal services through various platforms at a school, win95, 98 and 2k professional. All the printers are installed on the machine locally and when you enter terminal services it creates a session allowing you to print. (or so the theory goes) The only problem is that about 90% of the time the document says that it has been printed yet nothing comes from the printers. All printers are connected to Jet direct boxes. The printers are hp2000c, hp1220c, hp2100 and kyocera 1550. Have checked and changed all cables to and from the printers/jet direct boxes, but still i cannot print.

Would be great if anyone could help or have any advice at all. At a loss as to what it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Allcock
IT Network Manager (soon to be road sweeper!)

Make sure that the printer drivers are installed on the Terminal Server as well as the workstations.

Sorry Kirmit, i should have added that i have already done that. Also all the drivers for windows 95 & 98 are pulled down from the server when ther printer is chosen from the additional drivers section. Still at a loss but thanks for your reply.

Since these are HP Jet boxes, are you working with them through hp web jet admin? I was wondering if you have given them IP address's. If so, can you ping them? Is it possible since TS gives you a session that is unique, have you tried logging on as someone else and install the printer in that session? You can also try a google search for tightvnc. This is a remote admin tool which is free. See if you can install that and try and print. Keep me posted, I'm curious. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

I am wondering what Service Pack you are running on your terminal server, I have run into print jobs not doing anything after installing Windows 2000 Service Pack 3. In that case the service pack had wiped out the user privileges in the WINNT/SYSTEM32/SPOOLER/PRINTERS folder on the Terminal Server. After they were put back it worked.
Might want to check this.
-Chris

Have you checked to see if the drivers are compatible with the version of terminal service you are using i know that when you use citrix and NT4 TS you need to go back to the drivers that are availiable on the TS server CD.

This means that a HP4500 printer will use an HP4 driver.

Just a thought.

Or try direct IP printing. Mac [pipe]
MCP, MCSE (NT4), MCSE (W2K), CTT, MCT

Glad to be of service.

Hello again. Have tried all the above and have had some more people in from an outside agency to view the problem, getting no luck from either. Going to try moving printers back from our file/print server to the domain controller to see if we have any joy. Only because i cannot think of anything else to try, pretty sure it is a driver problem. Can anyone explain to me when i clivk on print in terminal services what actually happens ? My tip is don't try to use terminal services with anything other than 2000 upwards, given me too many headaches.

Thanks for all the help you have all given so far.

Olly

One of the problems with Win9x clients is that the printer drivers often get given different names.

e.g. an HP LaserJet 5L on Win9x may be called HP LaserJet5L on Windows 2000/NT TSE.

To get over this, Micorosoft provide a file called ntprint.inf, in which mappings may be made, eg

HP LaserJet 5L = HP LaserJet5L

and so on.

The HP 1000 series (including the 1200) has been one of the most difficult I've had to try to get working. The 1100 won't work at all in a TS environment. This is confirmed by HP.

The others should map to the LJ4 or even 5Si driver (for added functionality). I posted a link to a list of confirmed compatible HP drivers in the Citrix Solutions forum.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Chris,

Just seen your post about your TS printing probs. We had a similar thing here where we would send jobs to print and then they would just disappear.

What program are you trying to print from? Is it a true windows program or some thing that might not be true 32bit?

We use a bespoke database program here which is not true 32bit and could not print anything yet word, excel were fine.

MS has a fix for this which is a prob which happens after installing sp3. You will need to contact MS to get the fix though as you need to enter a key.

Contact your reseller or MS direct and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps....Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back