Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing using HP LJ1000 on Win2K causing machine to reboot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfx3800

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
US
Hello,
I have an HP LaserJet 1000 connected to a Win2K machine directly via USB port.
About a week ago i started having the machine reboot when I would print to the printer. It would not be on every print and mostly from IE 6(w/ all patches installed). Some times it is a spoolsv.exe error.

The Machine has SP3 install with all the hotfixes and DirectX 9b. Mcafee 7.0 Home, latest DirectCD, latest ATI RAGE 128 PRO drivers, the motherboard is a elitegroup K7S5A w/ all the latest drivers installed for it's onboard LAN and sound.

What I have tried so far is:
- Latest HP drivers (not fixed)
- Clean install with updates until and including SP3 (not fixed)
- Roll back to SP2 (no fix)
- Exclude all spool related files and dirs from McAfee (not fixed)
- Plug computer into a APC UPS, and plug printer into socket on different circuit (no fix)
- Tested the printer on two other computers(no problem, so printer is not the problem)
- Tested a Brother HL-1435 on problematic computer (same problem)
- I disabled on board USB and installed a USB pci card (not fixed)

I am running out of ideas !!. My only other options that I will try are:
- Install Windows ME
- Disable onboard Sound and LAN and install PCI LAN card (in case one of the two is failing Intermittently)
- Windows puts the USB print controller, LAN, and Sound on the same IRQ (IRQ 11). I would like to fool around with that but the MB BIOS does not have that functionality. I have set "PLUG & PLAY OS" to NO but that is pretty much all i can do. The problem occured when that setting was on YES as well. I am not sure it is a IRQ problem because the Brother HL1435 was connected via the parallel port and the problem persisted.

any...ANY... help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.
tektips (-AT-) partsafas (-DOT-) net

What happends if you disable the automatic restart feature under system properties - advanced - startup and recovery section?
Do you get a bluescreen then? Cause then we can proberly get this problem closer to an solution.

Kind regards Pysj`n

Hello Pysj,

I'll try that tonight and see what it gives me. I totally forgot about the recovery feature.

Thanks

No problem sfx3800.
I think the recovery feature should be dsabled by default, cause usually you can get importent relevant information in the bluescreen.

Good luck

Kind regards Pysj`n

I unchecked the start up on recovery option and got the following:

1. on one crash it game me K_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in rdbss.sys
2. on another it game me PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA in ntoskernel.exe
3. and on alot of other crashes it didn't even go to BSOD it rebooted altogether.

All this was happening even after i disabled the onboard sound, i disabled the on board lan and install a PCI lan card, and even with no video driver installed for the ATI RAGE 128 PRO card.

I am not sure if it is a S/W problem or H/W. But what i noticed is that I could now make it crash at will when printinh a CPC document on IE via cartesian inc' CPC Lite viewer. I had been using this program for month without a problem. It is probably just a coincidence.

Maybe a part of the graphic card memory is corrupt and the way CPC renders the documents makes the graphic card use that part of the memory. Or maybe the Mother board.

I am at a loss.....any suggestions please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back