Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Totals in the Group Header 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deborahb

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
US
I am printing Tenant Statements and must print the total due at the top of each statement. The details for the total are printed in the detail section. How can I do this?

I am assuming that the total due is a simply summary of an existing database field.

So, a tenant statement total would either be a group total, or a grand total, depending on how you have made the report.
If it is a group total, the wizard will automatically insert the total field in the group footer. Just drag it to the group header.
Similar logic applies to the grand total - drag it from the report footer to the report header. Malcolm
wynden@telus.net
November is "be kind to dogs and programmers" month. Or is that "dogs or programmers"?

Hi Malcolm,

I need to print a total in the report header. I am not using the wizard. If I insert the running total into the report header, it is not working. What could be the workable solution? Do I need to use formula?

-Ma.

I did what Malcom suggested, just created a sum using the summary rather than a running total. It put itself into the footer and I just dragged it to the header. Worked like a charm. I too tried the Running Total way and it didn't work for me either.

Hey, I did say "I am assuming that the total due is a simply summary of an existing database field", so you can't sue me. :)
Yeah, it doesn't work for running totals the same way. Do you need to use a running total? You can do a simple summary operation on a formula field, so maybe instead of a running total, you can do a formula field/summary approach.

The other way, which is a bit more complicated, is to create your total using a formula WHILE READING RECORDS, then print it in the report header WHILE PRINTING RECORDS. The concept of evaluation time of formulas must be clearly understood before you should tackle this approach. Malcolm
wynden@telus.net
November is "be kind to dogs and programmers" month. Or is that "dogs or programmers"?

Hi deborahb,

Yes. I tried the summary. It works very well.

Thank you.

When I use more than one summary function into group header then it is giving wrong totals.
actually I have to show the totals of three fields in header. And I have four tables from where this all data is coming. the relation is like 1-2,1-3,1-4. I am using three formulas (sum({Amount}) etc)
If i only put one formula in header then it is showing correct sum but if i put more than one formula into header then the total increases a lot.
Please help.

Janardan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back