Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to Local Printers via Citrix Sessions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2000
US
I want users to be able to print to their local or network printers. I know there is some setting in either Metaframe of Terminal server that allows me to do this but I cannot find it. Any help is appreciated. erick@cmoremedical.com

depending on the print drivers that you have on the local pc's, you will need to add new printer, choose network, under windows networking choose the CLIENT workgroup, and then you should see your local printer. You may need the latest print drivers in order to actually install, but it will prompt you for what it needs. Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

You should look into a product called UNIPRINT. It will print for all printers without having to install drivers for each printer. It cost about 700.00 for a license and it is well worth it

If you want the printer's to autoconnect at logon. Select the connect client printers at logon tab, under config in the user account. Be sure you have the driver loaded for the printer on the server.

Autocreated printers can be switched on individually in the User Manager, Users Account , Config, Client Devices List. In addition there is a global switch per connection type under Citrix Configuration manager, select your connection name and under client settings you have global settings that over ride individual settings. A word of warning if you plan to use in excess of 10 users with the printing option configured - you might like to consider using a kix32.exe ( res kit ) script and network printer group membership as Citrix Client configured printing can sometimes prove problematic .

Has anyone ever seen where you have the option for printers to be connected automatically at logon, but when you go to add the printer so that it can be selected from inside an application, it gives you "Access Denied" ??? Anyone know how to resolve that?

snowflake, make sure the printer is shared on the system it is locally attached then follow the process outlined by MDonato to add the printer on a different system. Hope this helps.

NathanSchmidt; im interested in the product you mentioned, UNIPRINT. I have some questions,can you email me at don.post@bi.com

1. Log on as an administrator
2. Go to Start>Settings>Printers and select "Add Printer"
3. Select LOCAL port > create a new port and type the exact path of the network printer (e.g. \\printerserver\hplaserj4100
4. Point to driver location when prompted...you're done!

Now, what you've done is tricked the computer into thinking the network printer is connected locally where it is now available to all users who log on to that box.

Hope this helps!
________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Forget UNIPRINT....$700.00??? For what? A TOTALLY free option is this. Edit the the WTSPRNT.INF file found in the SYSTEM32 folder of your Citrix server. "Map" printer names to a drive like such.

OptionType = PRINTER
[ClientPrinters]
"HP LaserJet Series II" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet III" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet IIP" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 3P" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4/4M" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4K" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4M" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4M Plus" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4L" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4ML" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4ML PostScript" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4P" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4Si" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4Si MX" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4Si/4SiMX PS" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4V" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4MV" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4P/4MP" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 4 Plus/4M Plus" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 5/5M - Enhanced" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 5/5M - Standard" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 5/5M PostScript" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 5Si" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 5Si/5Si MX" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"Hewlett Packard LaserJet 6L" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP LaserJet 6P" = "HP LaserJet 4"
"HP DeskJet 560C" = "HP DeskJet"
"HP DeskJet 870C" = "HP DeskJet"
"HP DeskJet 890C" = "HP DeskJet"
"HP LaserJet 6P/6MP PostScript" = "HP LaserJet 4"

Then you only need to install the driver(s) for the printers in the Right Column on the server.(The HP 4 driver is one of the most stable print drivers ever written, and is the basis for all other HP drivers). Now, if you have some users out there with some odd ball printers you can elect to add that driver or attempt to map to the HP 4 driver.

If you are still having AUTOCREATE problems let me know.

hey ssnowflake...I have seen that before. That usually means that you do not have the actual driver installed on the server.

My end-users usually have deskjet printers attached to their local pc's and when they connect to citrix they try to "add new printer" but it doesn't let them. It will throw that access is denied message. Just go to "start->settings->printers->file->server properties and to the drivers tab" go ahead and click add and then point to the inf file or just tell the manufacturer and model of the printer. Hope this help!!

In the past months I understood that the solution for automatic client printer mapping is to install a compatible driver printer on Terminal (Citrix) Server, and/or eventually aliasing its name in the wtsuprn.inf file, mapping client driver name with TS driver name.

Recently I heard that if the printer is on a print server, and that print server is an NT or a 2000 server, I've got alias the TS driver name with the "print server" driver name and not with the "client driver" name :-0.
Is it true? Someone can add any comments to that, or can refer any documents that explain that?
Thanks of all.

Somehow, all those names have got to match up, it's true, but the Citrix Server needs to interpret the name that comes from the client.

When a print job is sent to a network printer via a Citrix session, the client sends the printer driver name that it has to the Citrix server over ICA. The Citrix server then passes that job, via its spooler, to the printer server.

It's quite unlikely that an NT Terminal Server printer driver will have a different name to any other NT server - but I suppose you never know! I've never seen an issue of this type - but maybe someone else has :cool:

If a problem like this came about, the first thing I would try is to add an alias into the NT servers ntprint.inf (the equivalent of the wtsuprn.inf), since in this case, the Citrix server is the client of the printer server.

I think it should work "out of the box", however.

I hope this helps

I am running Citirx XPe, feature release 2.
I have the autoconnect client printer selected, but whenever a user signs in it is NOT loading their printers.
What am I doung wrong ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back