Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to Lab Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

beel1956

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2005
AU
I need the computers in a room to print only to the printer in that room. At the moment I have printers mapped in the logon script so students just press print and where ever it comes out so be it. How do i limit them to print to the printer in the room they are in or a close by printer??

When u say computers in the room. are these computers desktop machines that dont leave the room or are these student laptops which they bring in themselves ?

If these are desktop machines you could simple set the nearest printer as the default one and that should take care or it.

[highlight]
M.Bajwa
[/highlight]

All are stationary desktops. The students logon script maps the 2 student printers available to them and sets the default randomly. The main issue is that often the default printer set is on the other side of the school and paper wastage is getting way out of control. Of course when it doesn't print in their room the thing gets printed several times before they wake up. Students are students all over the world.

Why not map the printer on the local computer instead of putting it in the login script? That's how we do it.

Revise the logon script to allow them to pick the printer of choice: thread779-581142

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back