Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to a text file on network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockc

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
I have a problem printing to a text file on a network drive from within a Citrix 1.8 session. I created a Generic Text Printer on our print server. That part is fine. When I go to print to this printer, it asks for the path of the Output file...

If I give it a local path (ie. m:\test.txt), it prints to a text file just fine. If I give it a network path (ie. i:\test.txt where i:\ is a drive that IS currently mapped) it errors out while spooling.

The reason I am confident it is a Citrix problem is that when I do this exact same thing locally on my workstation (not within a Citrix session) it works just fine. I can print to the Generic Text File printer on the printer server and point the Output path to a network drive and it works perfectly. Only within the Citrix session does it fail.

Any ideas?

If the application you are running is anonymous type, I reckon it's because from Citris session, you are logging on as anon user and not a domain user so you can't access (network mapped) drive i. If that is the case, there are 2 things, I know that will make it work. 1 is to write a batch script to run this publish application, add a line to map network drive using password /user:domain\username option. 2 is to republish the application as an explicit one so you can log on as a domain user.

First of all the problem is not application specific, the same issues happen in Word, Excel, ADP, Solomon, AAOD...everything. If you print to the Generic/Text printer and try to print the output file on a network drive...it fails. Secondly, this is happening while logged in as a Domain User, Domain Admin, anyone...not anonymous. Thirdly, none of the applications are published...they are just applications running on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back