Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to a local printer from Terminal client session

Status
Not open for further replies.

atif72

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hello, can anyone tell me to how to enable printing to a local printer from a Terminal Client session.

I have the documentation from Microsoft website, but its not very helpful.

I have installed the printer drivers on the Terminal Server and identified the remote pc via WINS. But when I try to connect to the printer via command prompt, it fails.

Is there other protocols that I should be using besides TCP/IP ?

I am running Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server.
Thanks
A.T.

Ahhh Good Ole Terminal client printing. By default The as long as proper drivers are installed your local printer should establish a session.
Is the session created on the server. If you start the session and go to server you should see it created in "printers". Better yet look in your event viewer and system it should tell you whether the session was set or not.

You said you looked at MS's not sure but this was one of the best articles that I found on the issue, if you haven't done so, download and read the Word Document on this page:

If need be please post back specifice error(s)(messages, event viewer messages, etc.).

PS. TS esp seems printing is still very buggy esp. with third party apps but not excluding others. There are reported printing bugs for MS Office product in Windows 2000 sr 3!!!!!

Depending on your specific situation you could always use a third party app to control the print job. IMHO, A third party app designed to be sold just for controlling printing says a little bit about MSTS printing.

Thank you I will take a look at it.
But I wanted to make sure that this document
refers to WIn NT 4.0 Terminal Server and not
Windows 2000 Terminal Server.

In Win2K Terminal Server, the server checks for a local
printer connected to the client's local
port.

But thanks for the help, I will check it out.

My apologies.....
I think (and corrections are always welcome) that you will only have the resources available that are available to that server so have you tried to share the printer on the workstation and then install the printer and map to it from the terminal server? Try \\workstationname\printersharename if that doesn't do how about \\ipaddressofworkstation\printersharname
Also you say command prompt so you may have to:
net use lpt1: \\workstationname\printersharename (/persistent:yes)-if you want persistent connection.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back