Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing thru Terminal Services (locally) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corneliu

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a few users that are remote in different states. I have a terminal server setup on a Windows 2000 Server.
Whenever they connect, they use a special database software. I would like the user to be able to print to his/her local printer.
How do I make it so that the user can print to his/her local printer?
I tried:
In Remote Desktop Connection, there is a field where you can check a box to use local printer resources. That box is checked, but still the user cannot print to his/her local printer. Then the user tried to connect without the print box checked, and still no luck.

Thru Terminal Services, you can/should be able to print back to your own local printer, right?

Anyone can help me with this one please? I have been looking at technet and searching tek-tips forums, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciate it very much...

Do a Keyword Search on Terminal Services Printing, read through those for help.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Check the event log on your Term Server. Mine was telling me that it could not install the printer because no driver was loaded. I had to load the Epson/Canon/HP etc driver on the Term Server for it to connect the remote device.

Good Luck

Make sure printer mapping is enabled on the TS, then make sure the driver for the clients printer is installed on the TS and you should be able to print.

The event viewer should show a TermServDevices error stating the printer could not be installed if you do not have the drivers.

Mark Morton, MCSA, MCP, SNA, CCA

Not all local printers work via terminal services. Especially some inkjet printers that have intelligent status and monitoring. Lexmark inkjet printers don't work thru terminal services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back