Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing through vpn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswinberlin

Technical User
Aug 1, 2004
US
I have a vpn set up and am having some problems with printing.

Here is the scenario:

Home computer has xp home edition, 2 hp printers.
Connect to Win 2003 server.
From there connect to computer at work.

I can see my hp printers on the server, but I cannot share them or see them on the work computer.

I have gone to options under remote desktop connection and checked bring printers to this computer.

This was working at one time, but I don't know what happened.

Thanks for any help!

assuming these two printers connecting to the home PC directly, can you net view \\homepcname from work PCs?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by net view, but I cannot see my home computer in My Network Places and when I typed the name in the browser I was unsuccessful also.

I have developed a work around where I put a shared folder on my work pc named "Temporary Print Folder" and I can access it from the server and print to my "local" printers when I am at home.

The only hang up was that the one program I really wanted to print from is a database program (ACT!) and printing to file makes the file unopenable on the server. I've installed PDF Factory and now I am able to save the print job as a pdf and print it from the server.

This makes it not necessary for me to have my home printers show up on my work computer. It's not the best solution, but it is a solution and I can get back to work.

If anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

We just faced this issue...

First of all you need to make sure your work computer has the proper print driver for your home printer. Then you add printer in the wizard (on th woprk computer) as a local printer. Under the port pulldown you should scroll to the bottom and see the remote printer. Make sure RDC was sharing the home computer printer. You may have to logout and login for it to take.

I had to restart the work computer after installing the driver and before adding the printer.

Once it shows up you are golden. Do not print a test page it seems to take far too long. Afterward use your ACT! at work to print to your home printer.

2468it

You are 100% correct. Have reinstalled driver at work. A day passed allowing things to reset. Back in bidness.

Thanks for helping me put an end to a month of agony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back