Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing through Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

klander2k

Programmer
May 5, 2003
US
Hey all

I am having a little problem printing through Remote Desktop. All of my users are loging in to Remote Desktop using the same user name. This is causing a problem with how the printers are viewed in my application(VFP). The default printer for a user loggin on is being set to the default printer of the last person logged on. If I log on, then someone logs on after me, I go to print something and the only printers that i can see are the printers from the users, who logged in after me, session.

Any clues.

Thanks

Keith Lander
klander@prosofttech.com

All the users have the same username? Say, your no trying to cheat the system by having it on Admin mode are you?! ;-)

Can you explain your question in a bit more detail. I'm a bit confused as of your problem.

Steve Hewitt

If all, or some, of your users have the same printer type and they are named the same, I've had problems with RDP and Terminal Services getting the printers confused with one another. I know I found the answer in Microsoft's knowledge base.

Could this be your problem?

Hi.

If I sign on to my Metaframe session from the office it takes that LOCAL PCs settings, including printers, and applies them. Assuming you allow Metaframe users to print locally, which I believe is the default.
I usually just close my session, as I don't wish to have to open various monitoring software each time I log in. When I open the session mentioned above from my home, My default priner is still the one at the office. I have to LOG OFF and log back on to rectify the problem.
As all of your users are logging on with the same account, their printers should default to whoever logged in first.

Hope this helps

Paul

I am not trying to cheat the system. :)

What we are trying to do is get rid of the Terminal Services Login. This way, when they click on the icon and their desktop, the application automatically comes up to our login screen. The problem is that we dont want the users to see all of the available printers on the Terminal Server. We only want them to see the printers that are connected to their session. The problem is that the Terminal Server takes a few seconds to get all of the users printers ready for that session and the default printer is set to the last printer that was setup on the terminal server.

Is there any where in Terminal Services, where a flag can be set so that the user logged in can only see that sessions printers?

Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks
Keith

Thanks

Keith Lander
klander@prosofttech.com

I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but you can go to AD Users and computers, pull up the user in question\Properties... the far left tab in the middle row is 'Environment'. You can uncheck 'connect client printers at logon'.. then log on as that user and set up the printers you want them to have.

Paul

I have multiple users, with different printers. The problem is that when a users logs into a Terminal Server Session, the printers activate, for that session, one at a time on the Terminal Server. IF multiple users log in around the same time, it activates in no order 1 printer at a time, whether it be from session 1 or session 5.
In my VFP program, the default printer for your session is going to be the last printer activated by the Terminal Server, and that printer may not be in your session.

What I am looking for is a way to set Terminal Services up so that the only printers that can be seen by a session is the printers activated for that session.

Thanks

Keith Lander
klander@prosofttech.com

Are you set up using Terminal Services on an "Application" basis?
Our Metaframe server is based on Terminal Services.. we set each users printers up as they wish it. If you have the users local credentials being automatically used to log in you should be able to do it, however if they are all using the same account then I can't see a way ( doesn't mean it can't be done: I'm just not well versed enough in Hydra to help )

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back