Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

tookawhile

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2005
GB
We have a Server 2000 (SP4)which a member server, it is sued for file share (not very often) and has a single HP 5500 printer shared on it.

For sometime, certain user have complained that sending print jobs to this printer takes ages, several minutes in fact, the printer dialogue options are extremely sluggish and slow to respond.

On my PC and several others it seems to work fine, having said that, the other day I changed one of my options to print on both sides and now mine is quite slow to respond - it seems that if you change any settings it slows it right down - any ideas as what it might be?

I have looked in the event log for one user where it seems extra bad for and I have the following errors which can't be good.
'40961
Source: LSASRV
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: NEGOTIATE_INVALID_SERVER
Message: The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server %1. No authentication protocol was available.'

Also, when I remote connect via Computer Management I get the following message.

' \\domain\userxxx cannot be managed because its not running WinNT - connect anyway?'

And if you answer yes you connect and this PC is running WinXPSP2.

Microsoft says it happens if server authenticates before the Active Directory becomes available. What OS is on the domain controller? Have you promoted it with Domain Controller role recently? Maybe Kerberos port 88 used for authentication is closed? You can see additional info on ports there. Have you enabled environmental debug logging? Do do this you need to create UserEnvDebugLevel DWORD parameter in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key. To enable verbose logging with creation of log file set it to have value of 10002. Additional info can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back