Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Restrictions by number of allowed pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtorres

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
Is there an application that restricts or only allows certain number of pages to be printed by a particular user?

I have a situation where students are printing tons and tons of paper the eventually gets tossed out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a networked envirornment.

Thank You

If the students have use to the network printer,there is preety much nothing that you can do to to allocate a printing page range.However, I would suggest denying them access at those peek hours where they are printing the most. I would also suggest to the students that they save any documents needed onto a floppy until they can sort through and print what is needed at their own expense. Sorry, but there is no way around it. That way it would mean more to them then printing out a bundle of paper that is uneccessary. Personally, I would disable the printer access during those busy hours. Or may even just not let them see the printer on the Network.

Kenya Nichols
UNIX SYS ADMIN - Netowrk Admin

Print Manager Plus works by putting a service in front of the spooler service. The service then interegates the print job and compares it to the rules that have been set for that user or the group the user is in and as long as they don't violate the rules then the print job is passed.

The rules can be based on the number of print credits the user has left and this can be reset at a point specified by the user, rules can also limit the maximum number of pages that can be printed or the size of the file or the type of the file.

There are other products that perform a similar function to this one on the market as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back