Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing question, CMYK, Tiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

widski1

Technical User
Jun 19, 2006
GB
Hi

I have some professional photos that are pretty large jpegs.

My photographer said to covert my workign space in to europe prepress 2 which makes the workign space adobe 1998.

then save photos in another file which converts them ready for printing with a litho printer.

But i heard some1 once say that you should change the image into CMYK mode and and then save as a tiff using LZW compression.

Eihter way i was going to sve as tiff using LZW.

Ultimately i was going to drop photos into indesign and work there. The export as a pdf to send to the printer.

However saving as tiff makes files large and indesign slower do you think i need to save as tiff if im exporting as a pdf or shall i just save as jpeg either way the images are plenty big even at 300dpi.

thanks for ur help

You should check with your printer. It used to be easy -- RGB for screen, CMYK for print. But now, with colour managed workflows, the lines have blurred. Many printers will request an RGB image with a particular (or no) profile assigned.

However, if your printer is not using a colour managed workflow, then convert it to CMYK.

Regarding TIFF vs JPEG, with high resolution files, there's no practical reason why you can't use JPEGs anymore. Sure, they used to cause problems, and technically there is a slight loss of quality, but as long as you don't overcompress the file, you'll never notice it. Some printers don't like them because they sometimes take a little longer to process on their end, but most printers these days are fine with them. If it makes your life easier, stick with JPEG.

...just to add, depending on your export pdf settings used from indesign, the images often end up jpeg in the compression settings anyway. Best to ask the printer about the pdf version their rip can handle if you go the pdf route, especially when transparency is involved...

andrew

If you're putting your pics into Indesign for professional printing, you're safest saving as cmyk tiff. It works every time. If you put rgbs into Id Preflight will flag it. Preflight of a pdf will also flag it.

The "working space" has both rgb (for monitor) and cmyk (for print). Unless you know how this thing is going to be printed, you can turn off color management or use either European or US prepress defaults - dependng where you are. Just make sure that you use the same inf Indesign and that you assogn the profile to every Photoshop image used.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back