Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Problem with Pagemaker 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcjfv

MIS
Nov 3, 2002
US
I previously post this with PAgemaker 7.5 by mistake.
I have PM 7.0 with patch installed on 2 machines. XP Home on one and 2000NT on the other.
Our output sources are:
QMS 2060
Textronic 780P
AFGA 9836 Imagesetter

When we send jobs to any of these printers each act like the are processing and then they go back to idel. If we print from other programs (ie: illustrator, photshop, publisher) all the printiers printers print fine. We are forced to export files to PDF Distiller, open in Acrobat and print from there.

I have all the ppd files installed in the ppd folder in PM7.

I am completely baffled. Is this a postscript problem? Does anyone have any ideas. Please HELP.

Joe
apcjfv@aol.com

In the Adobe User to User forums, there is a list of FAQs about PM, and one section is devoted to printing issues. You may find an answer to your problem there.

If this link doesn't work, go to which is the main page for the User forums. The Pagemaker forums are about halfway down the list. Click on the 'Win' link on the right, and then scroll down to the Pagemaker Frequently Asked Questions section. Clcik on that link and you will find a section on Printing Issues.

Speaking of printing problems in PM 7, have you noticed that Adobe claims that one of the fixes in its patch for 7.0 was that you could now print the euro symbol (€). I think maybe Adobe's boast was premature, because I haven't been able to get my postscript HP IV printer to print it, even when the symbol does show on the screen. Can YOU print the euro symbol in PM 7.01?

Ted Voelkel

Sorry Ted - never needed to, never tried.

You say when you send jobs to any of the printers.... is this from either platform? How big are the jobs? (RAM or memory problem?)

Have you tried sending a simple page with text only as a test? If not, do this first and let us know what happens.

Are your documents using graphics or elements that are linked over a network, or are all of the files local to the machine that you are printing the job from? When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

This happens from both platforms. The memory is not the issue.
If we send a simple text or form with no clip art everything prints fine.
We have it norrowed down to placing clip art or objects throught the insert object in PM. We have done this for 8 years and never had this problem. (until now that is)

>We have it norrowed down to placing clip art or objects throught the insert object in PM. We have done this for 8 years and never had this problem. (until now that is)

That is definitely your culprit. The pros will tell you to NEVER use insert object for graphics. Use only TIFF or EPS graphics, and use File>Place. PM does not pplay well with OLE, and you are finding this out. It also doe not like metafiles.

Your best bet, and I understand this is a PITA, is to convert the clip art into TIFFs. Use File>Place, and you will be all set. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back