Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing problem in a network with windows xp and windows 95 terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

john1975

Technical User
May 28, 2004
GR
Hi, I have a network with a Windows XP Pro terminal and a Win95 terminal. The terminal with Windows XP is connected locally with a printer that it shares. I install the printer on the Win95 terminal but when I am trying to print on the Win95, windows makes gray the printer on Win95 printers folder, it checks "Work printer offline" and it gives the message "An error occured while trying to print on printer printer-name. To print the document on the local printer click Retry. To delete the print click Cancel". I have also tried to print a test page but the same happens. The printer prints ok from the local Windows XP terminal. Can you help?

Thank you, John

when I am trying to print on the Win95, windows makes gray the printer on Win95 printers folder, it checks "Work printer offline" and it gives the message "An error occured while trying to print on printer printer-name. To print the document on the local printer click Retry. To delete the print click Cancel"

It sounds like you have defined a local rather than a network printer device under Win95.

Some thoughts:

. is it possible to upgrade the Win95 to Win98SE?
. is all the rest of the networking between XP and Win95 sorted and working properly?

I can't upgrade to WIN98SE.
I haven't tried something else networking between XP and 95 because I needed only the network printer.

Enable the "Guest" account under XP and test.

On the 95 box what port are you printing to in the printer properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back