Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing problem - cannot contact print services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leefp2

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
US
Very small Unix system; SCO Open Server 5.4 Host. One parallel laser printer hooked to lp0.

The system has been working fine for a long time. For no apparent reason (I am not at this site very often), printing has stopped. Attempts to print, even a simple direct command as root such as lp filename, result in an error message such as "Cannot establish contact with print servies."

If I go to...
scoadmin > printers > system > print services: The option for "local print service enabled" is not checked and the system will not allow it to be checked. While the option is highlighted if you press enter nothing happens.

mkdev parallel will run, but if I try to remove the printer and reinstall the process hangs at the end while the message "Setting up new kernel environment" is displayed.

Interstingly, the one terminal hooked to this system at tty2a is now also not working. mkdev serial will not run, it just hangs.

Otherwise the system seems fine. Applications are running... just won't print.

I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works. Any ideas?

-Lee

Have you tried running /tcb/bin/integrity -e? This evaluates the system and will report discrepencies on permissions and ownerships of files and directories.
You might also want to review /usr/spool/lp/logs/lpsched for any errors.

I don't see why you would want to run either "mkdev serial" or "mkdev parallel" to troubleshoot printer problems. These commands should only be run to enable or disable the ports. The printers are managed using the tool you describe, or "mkdev lp" (which basically takes you to the same place).
Check /usr/adm/syslog and /usr/adm/messages for normal troubleshooting purposes.

Pardon my simpleton reply but make sure you are in multi-user mode. Lpsched is not active in single-user. You can start it manually just by typing 'lpsched' as root. Use 'ps -efa | grep lp' to see if it is running. I would not remove and reinstall a device without re-linking (and even re-booting) in between (may be just superstition). Test the parallel port by sending something to it directly like 'cat /etc/hosts > /dev/lp0' and you should get something on the printer even though it may all be on one line. Also useful is 'lpstat -v' to show what printers are associated with what device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back