Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Postcards, 2-sided, 4 per page

Status
Not open for further replies.

kich94

Programmer
Jul 19, 2006
US
I need to print out appointment reminder postcards (4 perforated 4.25 x 5.5 cards per page) with the name and address on one side, and their corresponding appointment information on the other.

I'm not sure how to do this in Crystal, so I exported a file to Excel and used the mail merge in WORD. However, I'm not sure how to get the corresponding info on the back. We will be using a duplexing printer.

Anyone know how to do this in WORD or Crystal...or could suggest any other desktop publishing software that can do this?

Post in a Word forum then, this is Crystal Reports, try:

forum68

I would have sorted the data appropriately to have the first 4 rows front side data, then the back 4 rows data and used a standard Crystal mailing label.

Anotehr trick might be to place the back side data into an array and at remainder(recordnumber,4) = 0 issue a new page after and use 2 side-by-side formulas to emulate the front side layout - more tricky though, but possible.

But you elected not to ask how to do this in Crystal, instead you decided to use another product and then come and ask in a Crystal forum how to do what you decided needed to be done in another product.

It's all about the decisions...

-k

To do it in Crystal, how do I do this (I have not done this before)?

My boss suggested stringing 4 donor records on one line to make it 1 record (i.e. Donor1, Donor2, Donor3, Donor4 - of course each donor will have multiple columns). Then I can merge it in WORD with page one being the name fields, then page two being the appointment fields, then doing the <Next Record> at the end of page two. This works in WORD, I'm not sure how to string the 4 donors on 1 line in Crystal.

kich94 Did you ever figure out how to do this in Crystal? I am also creating customer postcards (same size) and can’t get the address to print on the back. I’m using a duplex printer so I need page 1 to have customer A, B, C, D info and page 2 should have customer A, B, C, D address.

I set it up using mailing labels and put the front side of the post card in details A and back side in details B. I then suppressed details A remainder(pagenumber,2)= 0 and details B remainder(pagenumber,2) <> 0. This makes it print page1 front (cust info) page 2 back (address) but the records don’t line up. Page 1 has cust A, B, C, D page 2 has address for cust E,F,G,H and so on.

Dear Clearmax2000,

I used Crystal to create the records to be exported to Excel. I set it up printing 4 records per line: A, B, C, D. Then I merged the Excel file with the Word Mail Merge by setting up the document as two pages for one record (doing a next page at the end of the second page). I set up the merge document as follows:

Page 1:
A Name/Address B Name/Address
C Name/Address D Name/Address

Page 2:
B Appointment Date/Time A Appointment Date/Time
D Appointment Date/Time C Appointment Date/Time

This worked great. I'm sure we can do it in Crystal; however, this worked for now. When I have more time to play around with it in the future, I will try it again so I don't have the extra steps in Word.

Hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back