Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing 'Page X of Y' in footer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopman

Technical User
Mar 21, 2001
US
In my footer I inserted 'page X of Y' in a text box. On a multi-page document the numbering is display correctly on the monitor, but when you print, it is coming out:
1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3, etc.

Can anyone help. I have over 700 documents with this problem.

I have Windows 2000 Professional with Office 2000.

Sopman

Sopman, make sure you have Word 2000 SR1 installed, which I believe fixes the problem. Take a look at:

Whilst you are waiting for SR1, try one (or more) of the following:

1. Reversing the print order (under Tools + Options + Print). This may work but is a major pain.

2. Switch into Print Preview and back, twice if necessary. Make sure you have the “Update fields” option checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options. This has worked for me.

3. In addition to 2., try clearing the check box for “Background printing” on the same tab. This has worked for a colleague of mine, more often than 2. on its own.

4. Instead of using a NUMPAGES field, use a PAGEREF field which references a bookmark at the very end of the document.
Or if you're using the SECTIONPAGES field, replace each with a PAGEREF field which references a bookmark at the very end of that section. (This is horrible, horrible, horrible and you need an amazing level of self-discipline to remember to redefine the bookmark's position whenever you add any text at the end of the document or section).

Hi,

This is a known problem. Go to the Options menu in File / Print and select 'Reverse print order'.

I know it will print your document backward but at least it works.

Anne

I do have SR-1a installed. I tried reinstalling it, but it would not let me. "Reverse Print Order" does work. Thank you, I'll use that for now...

What's strange about this is that I have 700 documents, but it doesn't do it to all of them. The only way I know if it's going to print wrong is if I view my footer and click on the print icon. You can actually see the page number change.

Sopman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back