Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing over the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

slymac

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
CA
Hi,
I would like to be able to print from my hp9000 running hp unix 10 (with a remote printer setup) thru my sparcstation 5 running solaris 7 (this is my connection to the internet) over the internet to a home PC printer that is running software to route info to the printer.
I also have placed my home IP address in the hosts file of the hp box and used it's alias as the location of the remote printer name in printer setup. I have also entered the ip address of my sun box in the hosts file of my unix box.
My problem is getting the printed info to go thru my internet connection.

Can this be done? OR is there some other more efficient way?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

I have seen printing from an HP via the internet done two ways:

1) Using HP Distributed Print Services (DPS)
2) Using HP JetAdmin (requires your printer to have a JetDirect card)

Since DPS is not a Sun product, this will not work. JetAdmin will run on a Sun, but does the printer have an internal or external Jet Direct connected to it??? From your post, it does not sound like it is using one. You may want to remove the PC from the picture and connect the printer to a JetDirect. If you do this, make sure to assign the JetDirect with an IP address that can be accessed on the internet. Then your print jobs could go directly from the SUN to the printer. Since JetAdmin also runs on all flavors of MS, you can also still use the PC to print to this printer.

If this is an option, do the following on the Sun:

If your remote site has given you full telnet priviledge to the JetDirect box, use JetAdmin to configure the printer.

If they have not given you telnet access, configure the printer as a remote printer. Use the hostname of the JetAdmin box as the remote host and "text" as the remote queue. The "text" option will ensure that you get CRLF versus LF at the end of each line.

On the HP side, setup another remote print queue that goes to the print queue on the Sun.

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back