Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing on Domain from Workgroup PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
GB
Hello,

I'm probably missing something obvious - but a collegue had a PC he was using that was not on our 2K3 domain. It was just in the standard workgroup as asssigned when building the PC. He asked if he could print to the network printers and I said he couldn't because we were on a domain of which he was not a member.

He tried anyway and 10 seconds later a print was coming off our network printer!

How is that possible? I thought only domain joined PC could use Domain resources. AND that particular printer is locked down to only a few users as well - not Everybody.

Have I got that totally wrong - or shouldn't that happen!!!

Did the user and password exist on the server by any chance?

Do you see that computer as a connected user on the network through Server Management? What user name appears?

Wow thanks for the speedy reply :)

The particular PC in question has been on the domain before with the same FQDN. In fact up until 3 hours ago is was on the domain before my collegue formatted it and started rebuilding it.

And do you mean to check if the computer is connectted through Computer Management:Shared Folders:Sessions on ther print server?

He is probably using IP Printing. Local drivers on his machine. No restirctions when done that way.

QUOTE: He is probably using IP Printing. Local drivers on his machine. No restirctions when done that way.

That is a possibility, and I'll check tomorrow when I go back into work - but I kinda doubt he knows how to do it that way. I would think it very unlikely he would even know that was possible.

Don't be suprised by what they find on the Internet. (How To's)

by default anyone can print to printers unless you change it.

QUOTE: by default anyone can print to printers unless you change it.

Cheers for the reply. Put surely non domained (is that a word?) PCs can't print to printers that are on the domain. And also - I set printers up so only Authenticated Users can access them - not the Everyone group.

Although - thinking about it - this user works in the IT department (different part to me) but is an administrator on the network. However that should not matter since he is not logging onto the domain.

He could have entered his domain credentials to add the printer. Even if the machine is in a workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back