Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing of emails from Outlook - attachment icons missing. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecat

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
ZA
The printouts I make from Outlook 2000 never seem to include the attachment icons. I've checked all print settings and can only find the option to 'print attachments' which is not what I want, simply a list of the attachments sent with the mail. I am using an HP Laserjet 4100 printer, and have checked that printer driver is correct. Same problem occurs with both OS Win98 and Win2000.

I am wondering if this has to do with you using html format rather than Word format. Not sure about this though.

I too have found this.

One of my users wants to print out an e-mail and wants to show what attachments were on it.

Now, if u print out an e-mail that has come in as Plain Text format, u get a nice little icon on the print-out showing what attachments were on it.

However, if it comes in as html format, the print-out shows no evidence that an attachment was on it.

So, my question is, how do I show on a printout that an attachment was on an html formatted e-mail?

Without fiddling too much, you could probably just make a screen print of it?

Yeah, I could but the user has enuf difficulty going to click on the print icon, let alone using Print Screen and dumping it into Word or whatever.

And if it's a multi thread e-mail, itll have to be done a couple of times.

It just seems a relatively simple thing altho I'm not really knowledgeable about why html e-mails work like that.

Doroth, thanks for the help, I tried using word format, but still seem to have the same problems.

Boingy, I agree with you on the print screen issue, I've tried it a few times, but if it's a multithread it's a problem.

There must be some way of sorting it out in html .... probably the same reason why embedded jpegs don't print from html emails as well?

Difficult setting up default stationery in outlook without using html format, so there must be a solution.

Still working on it, will let you know if I come up with anything.

The only way that I can think of is to hit the 'Forward' button, then change the format to 'Plain text', then print that. Close the forward message without saving.

While Spacecat figures out an EASY solution for me (hehehehe), can someone explain WHY this happens, just out of curiosity?

I am guessing that html e-mails handles attachments differently (ya, rocket scientist me).

But why would Outlook XP NOT printout a little icon of the attachment?

The forwarding solution as plain text is ingenious indeed (sticks in the attachment name like this <<filename>> ) but why is html so different?

Wouldn't be here if it were EASY! I get great little icons of the attachments in plain text (great to use in the meantime), but it totally messes with layout funtion that html provides(obviously).

I'm working with Outlook 2000, so can't help with the XP issue. Still looking....

I found an option to change rtf to text. I don't have my Outlook at home to experiment with and am on vacation this week (yay!), but I perhaps it will be helpful with html. I'm not counting on this, but I thought I would put it out there. control+shift+O.

Yes, that is very good actually and works dandy!!!

Now, all i have to do is explain to my user where the shift and ctrl buttons are and how to press all three buttons at the same time!

However, thanks for that, much appreciated.

I was having exactly the same problem in Outlook XP. The CTRL-SHIFT-O worked perfectly and fixed my problem immediately! Thank you thank you thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back