Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing more than 1 page 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallie32

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
I am a total newcomer to Filemaker and would like help on the following problem.
I am setting up a recipe database using the Recipes template in Filemaker.
When the Instructions are long and the scrollbars appear in Browse mode I can scroll through these instructions but when I go into Preview or Print it only shows the part of the instructions thats inside the Instruction box.
I would like to know how to get it to print the remainder of the instuctions?
I suppose this means printing more than one page but can not fathom out how to do this.

Wallie,

I believe that you will find that the key to this problem is that you need to make your fields as big (tall) as they will ever be. So if you think you may have 4 pages of text in a field you need to make that field 4 pages or more tall. But you will very likely want the field to shrink for times when a record does not contain 4 pages of text.

To set a field to automatically shrink, while in layout mode, make the field active by clicking on an edge, then pull down:

Format > Set Sliding/Printing

Now place a checkmark in the "Sliding Up Based On" box.

This will make the field shrink if there isn't enough content to fill 4 pages. At this point I bet you're about to say "I'd rather have a checkbox that said Grow To Fit Content" and I would agree with you but that isn't how it works.

I'd also be willing to bet that you are thinking that your data entry form looks and works horribly now that the field is 4 pages long. It likely is so bad that you and your people won't use it. That brings me to my final point.

Most FM developers make separate layouts for printing and data entry. Data entry screens are normally wider than tall and don't need to grow because you can have scrollbars. Printed output can't use scrollbars and is often taller than it is wide. There are lots of other reasons to have different data entry layouts different from printed output. I suggest you make a separate layout for printing. I doubt you will regret the decision.

-Striker

Thanks Striker.
My problem is solved.

wallie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back