Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing locally while logged on via RDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
If I'm logged on via a VPN and then Remote Desktop to my office, is there I way I can print at my home printer? I see in the Remote Desktop/Options/Local Resources that you can check Printer. But when you go to print that office document, that home printer never shows up as an option. And it only searches Active Directory, it does not shoot across the wires and look at my home pc to see what printer I have there. so what's the point of the Local Resources/Printer box?

I've printed it and I'll try it and see. Thanks.

The article that "smah" posted applies to MFP that use Dot4 printer port. The DOT4 printer port is new to the printer world. When logged into a VPN or RDP session the machine only knows how to redirect LPT ports. By adding the value to the registry.. it bypass the use of only LPT1. The value using all ffffffff as a broadcast. Hope this helps! I have had the same issue with some users in my company.

And I think my home printer, as well as that of other company users might well be DOT4 printers. Again, thanks for the help, and I'll read the directions, attempt to follow them, and see if it'll work. I always suggest they just email the document to themselves and then print it at home as it seems a simpler way of doing things, but then I'm just trying to save myself some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back