Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Issues over WAN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohannS

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
ZA
Hi There

I've set up a test Citrix site for my company, and that site accesses the Citrix server over a WAN connection. There are about 10 users, and the line provides 48k continuous connection. Applications run OK over the link, but the problem comes in when users attempt to print large files.

Since the data is on the Citrix server on my side, and the printer is on the other side of a wan link, a 30mb Powerpoint presentation takes several hours to print.

Is there a solution to this problem apart from installing a 1Mb WAN connection. I'm upgrading the link to 128k soon, but I fear that will not solve this particular printing problem.

Please Assist

My dad had a saying about putting 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound box.

You're talking about moving bits (1s and 0s) over a line with a given capacity. Whether it's copying a file, sending a print job, or Citrix screen paints, you'll get 48 kbps throughput (not counting overhead of course).

So, as you suspect, you answered your own question!

Yeah, well, I thought as much.

Thanks Anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back