Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Issue - Internal Consistency Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

perl1963

Programmer
Feb 26, 2003
US
I have seem many threads on this but none seem to exactly fit. Have a report in an application we are using that is printed every month. It prints base on a client type. Some client monthly statements print each month others fail.
The print driver has not changed, the indexes have been re-built, data checked for irregularity and code checked for inconsistency. Nothing can be pointed at definitely as a problem. The report was repoduced by removeing all but the client that causes the error. Does this make any sense? There isn't a limit being hit with just the data on the report so why should removing records that aren't looked at make it work?

Any comment or incite greatly appreciated.

Perl

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

It could still be an index file corruption issue.
Make sure to recreate the indexes from scratch, not just issue a REINDEX command.
Then, try removing and reinstalling the printer driver.
If that don't work, try using an older, more generic printer driver such as HP Laserjet III or 4.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Thanks Dave, so far so good, changed the driver to a 4SI and it is working in our test environment.

Take care

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

The early results have proved not to be consistent, thus the consistency error - Oh well. The problem seems to have hidden for a moment but when the job is in preview we were able to get through the reports. When trying to send to the printer the error ocurred again. Could it point to memory corruption or just the reindexing as the last determinate? The report works fine in all other cases.

Thanks again we'll keep trying

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

Also, delete all your .tmp files, delete FOXUSER.*.
Again, I would try installing a more generic print driver. 4si is relatively new. Try using something older like Laserjet 3, 4 or maybe 4+.
Ahhh. I almost forgot. Believe it or not, sometimes the video driver can cause problems too. Try dropping your screen resolution down a notch. If you're using 1024x768, try it at 800x600. Just to see if it helps. If so, maybe try another video driver.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Tried and tried, turn out it may have been getting overloaded. This is the scenario that breaks it. Start with the account record set that is 15000+ than get he related transactions 190000+ now the report puts n accounts into a group header as a customer may have multiple accounts. Then the detail section is y pages as each account has activity over the period. So the report cycle back and forth over these records x times and the hard drive sound like a complete marching band for several minutes. This explains the customer level reports the non-customer reports are based on the same records but only n' get w non-customer reports so several records can be pulled out of the record set for non-cutomer reports but the cycling isn't reduced much as the number of non-customer reports is high. So the job would only break on the non-customer reports so remmoving unneeded records has made it stop crashing. Could be co-incidence or a false sense of relief? The process is dreadfully slow however.

Any idea or was my description as good as yelling at a deaf person who is back to you?

Thanks for all the idea and help!

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

Huh??

Just kidding.
It sounds like you are reporting on the tables directly. Have you tried gathering up the data using queries beforehand rather than directly reporting on the tables?
The reason that could become an issue, is all the skipping around may cause some buffering/caching issues, especially if the tables are being updated at the same time you are running the reports.
Or, it just may be that the response isn't fast enough from the os or hard drive.
It may take a little work to rewrite some of that stuff to use quesries, but I think it would pay off.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

I agree, Huh?

The data is being queried into temporary tables, accounts in one and transaction inthe other.

so if you have 5 accounts with transaction each it would look like:

name
addr

a1
a2
a3
a4
a5

a1 start
t1
t2
a1 end
totals

a2 start
t1
t2
a2 end

this works pretty smooth for customer but non it could have to regurgitate a mirror report n time this is where it would blow up with the consistency error.

There are relations set everywhere and utility tables galour being quired...

I think the thing needs to be redesigned but time hasn't been alocated so bandaids have been used instead of a casket...

Thank again alway appreciate advice

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back