Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing in Samba

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebbeLille

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
SE
Hi,
I've installed Samba on my Linux box, and have a XP-box connected via ethernet. Everything's working fine, exept I can't print from the XP box.

Using smbclient on the Linux machine, I can connect to the samba-printer, and print using the "print" command. The printer is popping up in my "network neighbourhood" on the XP box as well, but nothing happens when I do try to print. When I connect to the printer using "admin" on the XP box I get "unable to connect", but using a regular user, it seems that I do connect to it, but I can't get the printing to work.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Heres a cut from my smb.conf:

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = Yes
printing = cups

Helge
--xx--

Have you installed the correct drivers on the xp box?

Yes, the drivers are installed on the XP box...

So nobody is actually able to help me out here??? I still can't print from the XP box... well, I guess I'll have to connect the printer to the XP box instead, then everything will be working fine... XP=easy, LINUX=too hard.... too bad....

Sorry, I lost this thread. Try adding the line:
guest ok = yes
to your printer section. If that line makes it work, then that means Samba doesn't know who the windows user is. Also, check samba.conf for:
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer drivers.
As the comment says, you need this line to use the client side printer drivers.

i have in my smb.conf in the printers section:

Code:
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        print ok = Yes
        read only = No

probably wont help, but might be worth a go.

if you have security = USER then you will have to map or view a network share on the server before printing can happen, at least on 2000 and XP boxes.

if i can think of anything else, i'll try to add it, hope some of this helps.

Hi,
Just to finish this thread - its now working :)

I removed all config for the printer (in Samba and generally for Linux), then configured the printer again, added the lines in the answer above in samba-config, and then it worked!

Thanxx for your help!

Helge
--xx--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back